The most iconic sole on earth.
Back in 1935, Vibram Founder Vitale Bramani lost 6 comrades on an Italian Alps hiking expedition, and the unfortunate incident was partially blamed on improper footwear. This led to Bramani researchig better soling innovations. Two years later, 80 years ago today, he patented the "Carrarmato" outsole, which has become the most iconic sole in the footwear industry today. The Carrarmato (meaning "tank tread") was the first sole ever created with rubber lug soles, it was initially developed in partnership with Pirelli Tires.
The Carrarmato is built on grip, traction and durability. It provides excellent traction across a range of surfaces, has a high degree of abrasion resistance, and was initially made with the best vulcanized rubber of the time. In 1954 the first successful ascent of K2 was conquered by an Italian Expedition with Vibram Rubber Soles.
- General: Large contact area for grip on rock
- Lugs: Multiple hexagonal lugs for sensitiveness and grip
- Self Cleaning: Mud clearing channels for safety on heavy grounds
- Toe, heel: Strong/undercut heel for downhill braking performance
- Midsole, frame, insert: PU midsole for durable shock absorbing and comfort
- Shank: Engraved shank for better grip on uneven ground
- Technology/Concept: Vibram MULTILAYER, the all-in-one sole technology